One Girl and Her Books

Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life. ~Mark Twain

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen

I don't really "do" mystery books. I love watching British Murders like Poirot, Miss Marple (not Marple I'm afraid), Frost and Morse when I am home with Mum and Dad but that's about it. I have enjoyed a few Jodi Picoult's too - hmmm, forgot about that. Anyhow this cover just called to me from the book shelf in Munroe's a few weeks ago. It looked so Mitfordian! It was only $8.99 so I bought it. I read it over the weekend and really enjoyed it. It's the tale of Lady Victoria Georgiana Charlotte Eugenie, 34th in line to the throne and the great grand daughter of Queen Victoria. When her brother, Binky, cuts off her allowance Georgie leaves the family home in Scotland and heads to their house in London. Desperate for money she gets a job in Harrods but ... her mother, a "Bolter" type, gets her sacked within a few hours. So Georgie anonymously starts her own domestic company with herself as the sole employee. However that doesn't last long either as a dead French man is found in her bath tub and Binky is the number one suspect! The book includes "real characters" such as The Prince of Wales, Wallis Simpson, Lady Furness and Queen Mary.

It's a quick and fun light read with hints of Nancy Mitford's Love in a Cold Climate and The Pursuit of Love.

I will look out for the sequel!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I picked this up last year for precisely the same reason - the cover. This is when you realise the importance of the dustjacket. Read it straight through and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not great literature just great fun.

I am keeping my eye out for the next one

Gal Friday said...

This does sound good (a brother named Binky?!), and like you, I also am pulled in by book jacket art.
BTW, have you ever heard of the Maisie Dobbs mysteries by Jacqueline Winspear? I think you might like them, and they have a little more substance to them.

cessie said...

I agree the cover looks tempting...ah I must confess I can fall for a cover lol. So typical!