One Girl and Her Books

Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life. ~Mark Twain

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Hungarian Dances by Jessica Duchen

My sister sent me this book a few weeks ago and as soon as I started it I was hooked. I was really sorry to see it end and now I plan to hunt for Duchen's other books. Like "Her Royal Spyness" - this book has a simply gorgeous cover! I am sure I would have picked it up myself.
My violin playing niece, aged 14, also read it when her Mum had finished it and she adored it too. So that's 3 happy readers in the same family!

Katrina is a thirtysomething wife and mother who has never really asked any questions about her Hungarian family background. Her grandmother Mimi was once a world famous violinist, that much Katrina knows, but there are many missing links which Mimi, and Katrina's father aren't keen to talk about. Katrina is also a violinist but since the birth of her child, seven years previously, hasn't done any professional work. When disaster befalls her best friend Lindy, Katrina starts to question the foundations of her existence. Changes must be made!
The story spans eighty years and past and present collide in the stories of Katrina and Mimi.
Again, I don't want to give too much away but there is a major twist in the tale which comes to light when Katrina visits NYC with the lovely Rohan. Mimi's love story is simply a joy to read. I could almost hear the music .... I love books which float back and forth between different times - especially when it is done as well as it is here!
Infact I see that there is indeed a cd which features the pieces mentioned in the book! So, I need to get a copy of that from Sis.
If you love classical music, Eastern European History and/or just a wonderful, well written tale of a really lovely thirtysomething - the grab hold of this!! I know a few friends of mine will be getting it for Christmas!! If I had to describe it is four words I would choose "Music, Love, Friendship and History."
Sigh, I hate it when I come to the end of a really good book which transports one away from reality!
Now, what shall I read next????

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Quirky Celt,

A Google alert has just brought me to your site and I wanted to say an enormous thank-you for your extremely kind words about my book! This novel meant a great deal to me, and it is wonderful to know that it is being loved as much as I wanted it to be.

The CD, by the violinist Philippe Graffin, is coming out on 29 October and is on the Onyx label. You'll be able to download it from the Onyx website after that. Meanwhile there's more information about it and the book (plus some Hungarian recipes) at my Hungarian Dances website.

Thank you again!

Best wishes,
Jessica Duchen

Anonymous said...

I have put this on my "Must Read" book list!! It sounds like my kind of read and I absolutely love the gorgeous cover. Thanks for the review!!

Brittanie said...

It sounds very interesting.

cessie said...

Sounds interesting indeed. Just been to Budapest so even more interesting.
The cover is beautiful indeed!
I agree with you, I hate it too when a good book comes to an end ;-)