One Girl and Her Books

Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life. ~Mark Twain

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Okay, I first came across this book shortly after it came out almost two years ago. I picked it up, read the back and laid it back down. I thought it was just a whiny rich New Yorker who got divorced and then travelled for a year to recover. Although the travelly bits sounded interesting I just didn't feel compelled to read it. Over the last eighteen months or so I have picked it up again and again, after various people have told me how good it was .... and laid it back down. However last week I was at the library with a friend and she couldn't believe I hadn't read it as, she said, it was "so you, Julia" so ... I got it out and I adored it!! I was hooked from the first page and devoured it within three days. I was in total awe at some of the things she said as I thought ...I was the only one! I lightly highlighted so many paragraphs in the book - so I am off to buy my own copy later today so I can copy the highlighted pages and return the library book with my notes erased.



Where do I start? I don't want, as usual, to give too much away incase you haven't read it and this whets your appetite. Elizabeth is a mid 30's New Yorker, a published author and after googling her I found out that the movie "C0yote Ugly" was based on her stint working in a bar. She was in an unhappy marriage and suffering with depression. She decided that divorce was the only option. After a year or so of legal hell she decided that she needed a break and the four places that appealed to her for very different reason were Italy, India and Indonesia - " ... all these places begin with the letter I. A fairly auspicious sign, it seemed, on a voyage of self -discovery." And so began Liz's year of "I".

The first four months were spent in Rome. I've never been to Rome but it's on my list. Liz attended Italian classes, made friends, including Luca Spaghetti, and eat the most delicious sounding food. It sounded like the perfect post divorce adventure. The second four months were spent at an ashram in India. Her descriptions of her hours spent in devotion and meditation were fascinating. Here she met "Richard from Texas" who spoke with so much wisdom that I almost felt like emailing her and asking if she would get him to give me some life counselling!! It was very interesting to read of the wide variety of people from all over the world who attended this ashram from the Baptist preacher to the Argentinian dancer! This segment of the book was probably my favourite as it really seemed to be the remaking of Liz - it gives me hope as she is the same age as me!

The last four months were spent in Indonesia. Liz had previously been in the country and had met a medicine man who had given her a prophecy that she would return to spend four months there with him. These four months were so exciting - I really didn't know what was going to happen!! I wanted to meet every character in this segment, from Ketut the elderly medicine man to Wayan and Tutti, the mother and daughter whose plight encouraged Liz to reach out to her friends, to Ian, the Welshman with the lovely voice and, Felipe ......

This book rocked! It inspired me that maybe one day someone will tell me again that I am "young and beautiful" after feeling old for so many years! Witnessing Liz's rebirth and new love just made me smile so much! Viewing her website and seeing photos of the friends she met on the trip just added to my happiness.

I really recommend this to any ladies mid 30's to early 40's to let you know that life can begin again. Read, enjoy and make plans for that passport!

2 comments:

Tara said...

I appreciated your review, because I actually didn't care for this book, and really wanted to hear from those who did why they liked it so much. It sounds like you got a lot out of it.

cessie said...

This sounds great!!
I only have heard negative reviews from the people around me so I was not really tempted to start reading it...but now I definitely will :-)
Thanks for sharing girl!