One Girl and Her Books

Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life. ~Mark Twain

Saturday, November 15, 2008

My Mother's Wedding Dress by Justine Picardie


What can I say about this book? It was a pure joy from the start! I was in tears, surprise surprise, from the first chapter. I'd heard of it when it first came out a few years ago and for some reason it came to mind a few nights ago, and it was at my beloved library. Basically it's a memoir. Justine recalls incidents in her life, and indeed of previous generations of her family, through the medium of clothes. I'm not a fashion follower at all but this book touched my heart in a big way. From Justine's mother's wedding dress to her beloved late sister Ruth's black Gap jacket to the clothes of literary heroines such as Rebecca, Holly Golightly and ... Pippi Longstocking ... you will be feeling all tingly and remembering clothes from your past! I really fell in love with Justine's writing and am currently reading another book of hers "Daphne" of which you can expect an entry on Monday! Let's just say that she has zoomed onto my list of favourite writers!

2 comments:

cessie said...

sounds warm and cozy...a trip back memory lane ;-)
perfect for this time of the year I guess, when days get colder!

Anonymous said...

Darling Hon, you will LOVE "Daphne": I read it this winter and it was like a breath of spring. There is a particularly beautiful touch at the end, when you learn the narrator's name... ooh, I can't wait to see what you think of it!