One Girl and Her Books

Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life. ~Mark Twain

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Rosewater and Soda Bread by Marsha Mehran

Ahhhh, another book about the Iranian Aminpour sisters. This book is set a year after "Pomegranate Soup" ended. Marjan, Bahar and Layla are enjoying life in Ballinacroagh and "The Babylon Cafe" is thriving.

When their dear friend, Estelle Delmonico, phones Marjan and tells her that she has found an unconscious young woman washed up on a local beach, the quiet life in Bally in turned upside down. Added to this is the appearance of a handsome writer who falls for Marjan, Bahar's secret, Layla and her boyfriend wanting to "step up" their relationship and the lovely Father Mahoney starting a radio show!

As I said in my PS review, this is a perfect mixture of Chocolat and Ballykissangel!! The characters are sublime and when the talk turns to food, I swear my mouth waters at the descriptions of the Iranian cuisine.

I will say that this wasn't quite as good as PS as some of the storylines, in my opinion, weren't resolved. I had a few questions after I read the last page and wondered if I had somehow missed explanations - but I didn't, they simply weren't given.

However, it was a delightful read and I am sure that anyone who has read PS will enjoy it!

3 comments:

cessie said...

Ok, so another must read for me lol.
I agree, the talking about food is soo tempting :-)
Looking forward to read it soon!

Deb said...

OOo I have this book on my to be read list. I really liked her first book.

Tara said...

Great review! I'm sorry I didn't see it sooner - but I don't think bloglines is updating you. So irritating!