One Girl and Her Books

Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life. ~Mark Twain

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My Pile of Books


I'm currently reading Libba Bray's trilogy - A Great and Terrible Beauty, Rebel Angels and The Sweet Far Thing. I read A Great and Terrible Beauty last year and really enjoyed it. It's not my normal genre at all - I don't really do fantasy as I find it hard to picture "other worlds" in my imagination. The only fantasy books I have read are The Chronicles of Narnia and The Lord of The Rings Trilogy/The Hobbit. But I am thoroughly engrossed in this series! I enjoyed my reread of A Great and Terrible Beauty so much that I read it within two days. I will write more of a review when I finish the last book - which I am about one fifth of the way through. Oooh, it's good!!

My library has been too good recently and in my pile I have a mix of fiction, biographies and Christianity.

The Viceroy's Daughters by Anne De Courcy - The Curzon Sisters
The Girls who saw Everything by Sean Dixon
So Many Books, So Little Time by Sara Nelson
Belong to Me by Marisa de los Santos
Mary Poppins She Wrote by Valerie Lawson - biog of P L Travers
Edith's Story by Edith Velmans
Mosaic - Amy Grant
When Prayers Aren't Answered by John E Welshons


and Rutka's Notebook - which is "the long lost diary of 14 year old Rutka Laskier - The Polish Anne Frank. "

I know that I have a few more waiting for me to pick up as well. Tooooooo many books! I think I'll attack P L Traver's biog next as I remember a great review of it in The Times.

I've added more book blogs to my regular reading and, alas, this has just added more books to my wish list! Lots more! I get anxious if I think there is a wonderful book out there that I am somehow missing!

Well, I guess there are far worse addictions than reading!! I've been sitting on the sofa with a pot of lavender tea and Mamma Mia movie soundtrack playing until almost midnight for the last few days - wanting to read one more chapeter!!

Ahh well, back to my book ......

2 comments:

cessie said...

I'm not that much into fantasy either and have the same problem with it as you though.
I love to read and have way too many books on my TBR list as well. Have been very bad with reading in the past months (too much on my mind to keep focussed) but am back on track again!
I can picture you sitting on the sofa there...it's a lovely picture :-)

cessie said...

Haha...I just had to laugh about myself! Decided to follow your example and to read on my sofa.....
Fell asleep and slept for 2 hours!!
Must have been tired hey. Thought I'd share it with you. Will try again though!
X